Bandai Namco launched today Super Robot Wars DD in Japan, for iOS and Android. The game can be downloaded on Google Play and Appstore using a Japanese VPN. A new commercial for the game was also published.
Super Robot Wars DD‘s Producer Akai mentioned since a few months ago that the game would launch between Summer and Fall, but with no release date. The game was surprisingly launched on August 21, a few days after the game’s iOS and Android pages went live.
Super Robot Wars DD is closer to a traditional Super Robot Wars game than the other SRW mobage, Super Robot Wars Cross Omega. Here’s a quick roundup about the game:
- Unlike other Super Robot Wars games with their Player Phase and Enemy Phase, SRW DD uses a speed stat to determine the units’ turn order.
- The game’s story is initially divided into 4 worlds. The series are distributed between these worlds. However, you can switch worlds at any time, and keep using units you unlocked in another. Moreover, at some point in the story, all worlds and series join together.
- New mecha are obtained as you progress through the game, not through the gacha.
- The gacha nets you Weapon parts, which can be equipped on mecha to use new attacks.
- The gacha also has multiple support characters which can be equipped on a mecha.
Here are the series appearing in Super Robot Wars DD:
- World 1: Devilman (original manga), Steel Jeeg, Mazinkaiser (OVA), Super Electromagnetic Robo Combattler V, Aura Battler Dunbine. (Series which loosely represent the Showa-era.)
- World 2: Super Electromagnetic Robot Voltes V, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack, Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, Getter Robo Armageddon, The King of Braves GaoGaiGar, Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0, Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0. (Series which loosely represent SRW Alpha games).
- World 3: Full Metal Panic series, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed, Mobile Suit Gundam 00, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. (Series which loosely represent SRW Z games).
- World 4: Armored Trooper Votoms, Blue Comet SPT Layzner, Zegapain, Zegapain ADP, Valvrave the Liberator, Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans. (Mostly series appearing for the first time ever in Super Robot Wars)
Super Robot Wars DD is also scheduled to launch in multiple Asian territories: Taiwan, Macao, and Hong Kong. Back when the game was announced in November 2018, the producers stated “we’ll make it playable overseas” too, but it’s unclear if they meant an English version, or the Asian versions, which weren’t announced at the time.
Meanwhile, Super Robot Wars T, the latest main game in the series, is available on Switch and PS4. Super Robot Wars V and Super Robot Wars X are also getting ported to Steam and Switch. This is the first time ever the SRW series will be coming to PC, but no release dates were communicated yet. Super Robot Wars V will launch in Japanese and English on Switch on October 3.
— ヤスダスズヒト (@suzupin) August 21, 2019
Super Robot Wars DD‘s main character designer Suzuhito Yasuda tweeted this illustration of Original Character Meg to celebrate the game’s release.
The post Super Robot Wars DD Is Now Available in Japan After a Surprise Launch by Iyane Agossah appeared first on DualShockers.